Tuesday, July 8, 2014

How it all began

Looking back on it now,  I was always on a path to creating with beads.  My parents encouraged creativity and exposed me to a wide variety of art forms.  In particular,  I remember that I learned basic knitting techniques at some point in my childhood,  and I gravitated toward creating knitted bracelets and chokers for myself,  eventually incorporating plastic "pony" beads as accents.  When my mom learned to make chain-work rosaries when I was in high school,  I immediately took an interest,  and she was glad to teach me.  I made rosaries for a while before I had the thought that these chain-work techniques---putting beads on eyepins,  connecting eyepins to each other,  using chain for extension,  making wrapped loops,  etc---could be used to make jewelry as well.  I had experimented with bead kits marketed to kids for making "friendship bracelets",  but it wasn't until I went off to college that I met someone in a local beading group who introduced me to true beadweaving.

The first stitch I learned was peyote.  I've come to learn that it's the first stitch of many beaders.  Right away I found myself seeking more information,  new stitches,  more challenging projects and ideas.  I confess that after that,  it's a bit of a blur.  I was constantly learning more and more about beadweaving technique while managing college and graduate school.  I made a lot of mistakes---perhaps most of the mistakes that can possibly be made with beads and thread---and I learned that in beadweaving,  as in many art forms,  it's only possible to truly progress by making countless mistakes (most of them dozens of times) and learning from each and every one of them.

So here I am.  I finally feel that my technique has progressed enough that I feel comfortable selling and displaying my work knowing that it will stand up to wear and tear and bring joy to its owners for many years.  However,  I am not finished learning,  and I never will be.  I hope that this blog will provide insight into my learning process as I continue to make mistakes and glean from them every ounce of wisdom I can.

Becka

No comments:

Post a Comment